INSTAGRAM

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

1898 Art Nouveau Book

 Not too long ago I was picking up some old art magazines from a library archives building. While lifting one of the boxes of magazines onto a trolley, a book in another box caught my eye. I saw something turquoise and ornate, and pulled out this Art Nouveau beauty.
I cracked it open and found that it was printed in 1898! As I was flipping through it, I turned to the elderly woman who was the volunteer book sorter helping me with the magazines and asked where this book was going. She said to a used book store. I asked how much it would cost there. She said probably around $30. We flipped through it some more. I drooled. She saw me drooling. She said she'd give it to me for $5. I grabbed some change out of my coat pocket.   
And now it's sitting in my house.
It is such a fancy book--complete with a gilt pages and golden lily motifs on the covers!
As it turns out, it is a French biography about Capitaine Belletable. I guess I'll have to read it to find out what made this dude so special.
Something I love about old books is the bookmarks that hide in them. I found this perfectly-penned list (look at that calligraphy!) snuggled between the pages.
What a find!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...