INSTAGRAM

Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Shabby Chic 3D Model

 I made a half-inch scale shabby chic bedroom! 
 It started with hours of Pinterest surfing and leafing through Rachel Ashwell books.
 Then I gathered scraps of fabric, paper, wood, and other such decorative tidbits. 
I work very spontaneously on projects like this. For example, I was hurrying past a recycling bucket after sawing some trim for a window sill, noticed a shred of ripped corrugated cardboard out of the corner of my eye, thought, "Ooo, fluting!" and scooped it up in one fluid motion to go turn it into columns.
The walls and base are foam core with printed images of floral and mint planks as wallpaper and hardwood.
There is a doily rug and a rack of dresses. I made the rack using skewers, paint, and hot glue, and the dresses are lengths of ribbon glued to gold wire. The mannequin is a chunk of trim with a screw topped with a clay body and a rhinestone.
The headboard is a piece of foam core I embellished with paper clay and gold paint, and the footboard is a piece of trim I cut and painted. The mattress is foam core covered in fabric, lace, and velvet. All the pillows are stuffed with cotton balls. The mirror is from Michael's, the art is reduced printouts on cardboard (including these thrifted roses), and the drapes are actually remnants of an IKEA curtain.
The back of the chaise is a wooden cutout of wings. The little bust by the window is made of clay.
The armoire (or desk? or piano?) is a piece of molding with chopstick legs and clay and paint embellishments to match the headboard. Plaster roses make a good wall decoration. Little did I know, as a frustrated toddler, that the fabric roses I ripped off my shirts would end up in a model bouquet several years later.
I also gave the model a high tin tile ceiling with a chandelier made of seed beads, floral wire, plastic beads, and upholstery tacks.
 It is a flickering battery-operated tea light so it makes the room look all cozy! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so impressed! Beautiful. You should enter this room into some sort of miniature content! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Shannon! Hmmm...I'll be keeping my eye out for such a contest!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...